In this episode of the Maker’s Co Podcast you’ll meet Sarah, a professional visual artist.
ATTENTION all aspiring artists – this is your episode! Sarah is a wealth of knowledge around all things art, including really understanding your work and where it fits, what goes into a submission, how to “network” in the world of art, and much, much more.
We’re excited to bring you this episode, it was a treat to chat with Sarah and the discussion was a true treat for both of us (but especially Lace!) We really hope you enjoy!
- Meet Sarah – her journey to becoming a professional visual artist
- Working abroad & how travel influenced her work
- Choosing to settle in Kitchener
- Coming from a family of creatives
- Perspective & a fresh start after healing from vision problems
- Learning to see, and create art, again
- Advice for artists – know where your work fits
- What goes into a submission?
- Apply, apply, apply! – networking in the art world
- Artist funding – get comfortable talking and writing about your work
- Artist compensation – working for exposure vs. being paid to show
- Promotion – digital and email marketing
- Website as a calling card – what’s important to include?
- Fraudulent sales – how to protect yourself
- Pricing your work
- What’s coming up in 2018
Resources from the episode:
- OCAD – https://www.ocadu.ca/
- Ron Shuebrook – http://studio21.ca/artists/ron-shuebrook/
- CAFKA – https://www.cafka.org/
- MFA – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Fine_Arts
- Cambridge Galleries – https://ideaexchange.org/art
- Thames Art Gallery – https://www.chatham-kent.ca/ThamesArtGallery
- Region of Waterloo Arts Fund – http://www.artsfund.ca/
- Ontario Arts Council – http://www.arts.on.ca/
- Canadian Council for the Arts – http://canadacouncil.ca/
- Galerie Ave ?
- Bay of Fundy – http://bayoffundytourism.com/
- Open Sesame – https://opensesameshop.com/
- Globe Studios – http://globestudios.org/
More from Sarah Kernohan
More from Maker’s Co:
- The Maker’s Collective – http://makerscollective.club/
- Catch Up On Past Episodes – http://makerscollective.club/podcast-2/
- Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/MakersCoClub/
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/groups/makerscollectiveclub/
- Get In Touch & Join The Club – http://makerscollective.club/contact/
More from Lacey:
More from Laura:
- LH Style Coaching – https://lhstylecoach.com/